Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Colombia Part 8: I am in Love


So, how many of you thought that subject line referred to a male? Oh, how I love to tease. Of course I am referring to this incredible country of Colombia that gets better with every bumpy bus ride, meat and beans lunch, horse ride and of course the daily interactions with everyone I have the experience of meeting. I can't say enough....but I will say more anyways!

With our travels taking us from city to country often, we left the quant, white-washed walls of Popayan for one of Colombia's adventure capitols of San Agustin. Since we tend to be social gals, we picked a few friends up along the way and thus entered our Peruvian amigo Hector and our Israeli friend Matan.

Based on a recommendation we arrived at our eco-refuge hostel at the top of the hill, Casa del Sol. The grounds are amazing and while we have to carry our own trash down to town and compost everything we dont eat, the views and the beauty are worth the "hassle." Again, I find myself trying new things on this trip, so welcoming the much needed rain here in front of a fire pit, dancing, singing and drinking aguardiente seems rather normal you think? My fellow Oregonians may find this crazy to dance for rain, but they have been dry in this part of Colombia and need rain to replenish their many varieties of plant life.

It's amazing the views I continue to see each day! I honestly have moments where I smile to myself and think, chica you are one lucky lady! I only wish I could package up a piece of Colombia and send it to each and every one of you. I have spoken often of the incredible people here and their passion of renewing their country after years of conflict, but it's hard not to mention it again. I am inspired daily here with the kindness, generosity and fabulous attitudes the Colombians have.

Someone told me the other day that to enjoy life with music, friends and family is so important in life, even when you are faced with death, loss of money, loss of pride and such, you must take time to enjoy yourself. I find this simple, yet powerful. How often in the USA, we fight depression, we complain of our circumstance, we hide away and get angry with what life is throwing our way and stop the fun. Why? I do not know, but I can only imagine what it would be like if we lost our jobs and decided, what the hell? Let's throw a party!

I could continue on for hours discussing my changed attitude, but I need to log-off and go enjoy this good energy, because today, my horse was a bitch and it turned my mood. I know, what a complaint eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment