Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Colombia Part 2: Lazy Tagangan Days

Life here on the Caribbean Coast is simply amazing, 'simply' being the operative word here. There's no rushing, people saunter about happy to be away from the hustle and bustle of big city life - or they are all stoned - but either way, it's amazingly relaxing. No pressure, no schedule, no time.

In fact, the other night a bunch of us were hanging out in the communal rooftop bar/lounge area here at the Oso Perezoso, playing games, listening to music, talking, drinking....you know...when Katie and I were asked if we were going out with them to the disco down the street. First thing I did, the damn American I am, was to look at my watch. 1am. Katie and I exchange glances like, well, it is late perhaps we should go to bed....when the token Aussie of the group (a commonplace thing in travel to have) asks us, "Why not? You have big plans tomorrow or something?" Hmmm....do I?

I laugh and say, "I have to go to the ATM...." While a trek to the ATM does mean a bus ride to the next town over and the often unneeded worry of getting robbed because you just pulled out a wad of cash equal to a months pay or more for some locals, it's not an excuse to not go dance to local beats while on holiday. We all got a kick out of this for some nerdy reason because all of us starting laughing about what a lame excuse that is. I mean, back home if a friend invited me out I would say, "Sounds like fun, but I have to go to the ATM today." However, with travel in off the beaten path locations this can be a bit of an adventure. Anyways, this was just a good reminder to let go, relax, go with the flow [man] and just enjoy this. Oh, we did go out by the way and danced our asses off until about three in the morning, in case you were wondering.

So while some of you might think it sounds like we are doing a whole lot of nothing here in Taganga, let me ensure you that we are. That's what people come here to do! Museums? Nah, I'll wait until the city for historical learning. Do my hair? Be productive in some way? Why?! It's the beach people. Hikes to seasonal waterfalls, lazy strolls along the beach walk, people watching (which is awesome here what with the mix of city vacationers, Argentinian clowns, local fisherman, daytime drunk gringos and street dogs) and reading a book in the hammock is productive enough for me right now. It's no wonder people come here to visit, come back often or just never leave.

This is all about to semi-end as we leave for Cartagena on Wednesday to explore one of the most beautiful big Caribbean cities I have ever scene. I cannot wait for Katie to fall in love with it as I did before. Until then, we will enjoy the lazy days of nothing but good conversation and meeting new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment